Thursday, February 15, 2007

I'm for marriage INequality

I hope people will show up (early please for the headcount) on February 21 to show legislators their support for marriage inequality in CT. YES, marriage inequality. I don't think marriage equals any two people who love each other, and neither should our legislators. The state's interest in marriage should be in promoting stable environments for the raising of children. Not giving a seal of approval on emotional connections. And children do better with both genders represented as parents. They need the balance of both, in ways that are obvious and ways that we don't even understand.

Why should Catholics care about gay marriage? First, because we care about gay people. We should oppose state endorsement of any behavior that jeopardizes the soul. Second, because we care about single mothers and their children. Gay marriage discourages responsible fatherhood by informing the citizenry that dads don't matter, thus further discouraging men from fathering responsibly in Ct. Third, because we care about parental rights. As has already been demonstrated in other jurisdictions, gay "marriage" is only one step in a plan to re-orient how society views homosexuality. First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes Junior-home-with-a-coloring-book-depicting-two-gay-lovers-holding-hands-at-the-mega-mart. Phew. Also, fourth, because we care about religious rights. Can anyone say Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities vs. Knights of Columbus?

Maybe you don't believe in the soul (or think my political opinion cannot be informed by my religious faith), maybe you think a few more single mothers who chose to copulate with Joe Sixpack are worth well-heeled, non-civil-unionized persons flocking to the state, or that the State should, no, MUST, re-educate the offspring of the simple-minded to accept homosexuality, and that gay people have just as much a right to a tacky wedding reception as anybody else. Then - go for it. But, I say, and seriously, I can't sit by and let the State of Connecticut further abuse the institution of marriage. Up to my late 20s, I would have told you that gender didn't matter a stitch in the raising of children. And if a woman was lucky enough to dump the good-for-nothing father of her children, and have enough pluck to get by, well then good for her. Untill I had my own children, I had NO IDEA how incredibly difficult it was to raise children WITH a husband, never mind without one. I wouldn't wish that for anyone and God Bless those women who manage to do it. The state of Connecticut must not further abuse the institution of marriage and should be encouraging fatherhood for the benefit of all women, children and society.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I think the post should acquire more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

u should see this [url=http://bit.ly/6DwsFE]Sexy.[/url]

Help me just visit to get me my next free video

Anjali said...

Nice blog dear I like your blog it’s looking so cool according to blog theme. I would like to join your blog again and again. Procedure of arya samaj mandir in ghaziabad, Procedures of arya samaj marriage in Delhi